God is sovereign! Yep that is right. He can do what He wants! When He wants to do it! How He wants it done! Never underestimate His power and authority. The moment this hit reality and hit hard is when He called my best friend, love of my life, my everything and my world home. My Mother.
Life is short and we know that tomorrow is not promised. You have to LIVE LIFE by enjoying and cherishing each moment as if it were the last. Be present in the moment and this very moment right now. You don't want to be reciting popular sayings and lyrics that you didn't know what you had until it was gone. Having regrets about what you could have, should have and would have done. is not something you want to fill your mind with. Now is the only moment you have, so live in it.
To ensure you don't live a life of regrets with love ones, here are 5 things to be intentional about.
Be Intentional about:
1. Forgiving quickly. Forgiveness is not for the other person but for you. But….forgiveness can also help the other person involved and ideally the relationship. Forgiveness changes your heart towards that person and helps you release and not be in any kind of bondage. Life is short to not forgive. It is hard to have love ones in your life so don't risk losing them due to unforgivingness, no matter how small or big the issue is. You can not change your family nor pick them. Never delay forgiveness when you have the opportunity to forgive and make peace with the situation. Relationships matter, so don't miss out.
- Don't go to bed mad! We have all heard this saying before and it holds so much truth. You never want to end the day on a bad note. You have to believe that nothing is ever too broken not to be fixed. There are solutions to problems. You don't always have to agree but seek to get an understanding. End the day on a good and positive note, not a negative one.
2. Staying Connected. With all this new age technology there should be no excuse to Keep in touch. "But my life is just so busy you say." My response is that "everyone's life is busy and filled with things to do. So what?!" Don't make excuses. I am a strong believer and always have been, that you make time for things and people you want. Time has to be made. Simple phone calls to say "hey I am just checking on ya", can go along way. Not only that but its not hard. Make time to reach out to those you love, often. When ever possible make an effort to go beyond a phone call, email or text. Pay a visit or set up an outing. Initiate the meet up. Make time for those you love. In this day and age it is hard to find true companionship so you are beyond blessed if you have people in your corner. You never know how much of an impact this has on the other person. We were made to fellowship. Enjoy by making time.
3. Cherishing each moment. Be Present and in the moment. I know it can be hard when your thoughts are cluttered with 1 million things, but stay present. There is power in the moment and you don't want to miss it. The moment can not and will not ever be relived, so savor it while it last. One thing I learned was you can have faith for a thing but that doesn't and shouldn't change "now and the present." Embrace the time that you spend with those you love. It will be all well worth your time.
4. Showing appreciation. Thank you goes along way. Saying thank you does not have to be a hard thing but a simple yet powerful act of kindness. It feels good to be appreciated and valued. Let them know that you are grateful for what they did either by your words or or a thoughtful action. Do something nice for someone you love. Give them a gift. Treat them out for dinner. Whatever you do, be intentional by showing that you are thinking of them, you care and appreciate them.
5. Loving hard. Show love and give love. If you do not have love you don't have anything. "Three things will last forever–faith, hope, and love–and the greatest of these is love." (1 Cor 13:13) NLT. Give kisses. Give hugs. Maybe you did not grow up in a very affectionate household (I did not) but give it and show it. Say kind words. Be Patient. LOVE!
Bonus: Take lots of pictures and videos! Memories will last forever. Cherish and keep pictures and videos close to your heart. Have something that reminds you of your loved one. My mother never liked to take pictures and I have been scrambling to find pictures of her. I have been especially looking for pictures that we took together. I was able to find enough to hold me over for now. Thank God for IPhone because I was able to retrieve my deleted voicemails and I have at least 10 voicemails with her voice. I have birthday cards that she gave me and memories to last a life time. I love how I have close friends that she adored so much so I have memories of her with them. Snap, Record and Review!
Share your thoughts. What changes will you make today with your loves ones? How will you take the initiative?